Opening of the St Catherine Youth Information Centre (YIC) and the National Youth Service (NYS) Parish OfficePublished by: Wade EdwardsReference #: myc202
Date Published: Tuesday 16, Jun 2015The Ministry of Youth and Culture today, hosted the Official Opening of the St. Catherine Youth Information Centre (YIC) and National Youth Service (NYS) Parish Office. The establishment of the Youth Information Centre in Spanish Town is the 10th centre to be established. To date, nine Youth Information Centers have been established in Portmore, St Elizabeth, Manchester, St Mary, Portland, Kingston, St James, St Ann and Clarendon.
Youth Information Centers are available to give young people access to a physical space, providing credible information and assistance to guide their personal and professional development. Young people who access these centers can expect to receive guidance and counselling, access to communication technology, assistance with entrepreneurial pursuits in a safe and youth friendly environment. The YICs provide the following services:
- Youth Empowerment And Outreach (Interactive Sessions )
- Counselling, Advocacy And Referrals (Basic Counselling and Referrals to Service Providers)
- Entrepreneurship And Job Search (LMIS link, “Help Desk”)
- Culture, Creative & Performing Arts, Sports & Recreation (Music, indoor and outdoor games/sports, competition)
- School Support (Research, Homework/SBA)
- Administrative Support (Resume Writing, photocopying, etc.)
- Information Service &Technology (Internet, YIC website, Web Pages/Links)
The YICs Facilities were constructed from loan funds secured by the Government from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) under the Youth Development Programme, implemented by the Youth Ministry.
The young people in St. Catherine have been waiting for the use of this youth space, in order to access and participate in the Services, Programmes and Interventions which will be provided by the YIC and NYS for their empowerment.Source: Ministry of Youth and Culture